Eating a grapefruit had special memories for me this week. When I moved into my first apartment during the college years, my grandma came to take us grocery shopping. I think she did it for all of her 24 grandchildren. It was a ritual. We expected her to come.
We were at the produce section in the store and stood in front of the grapefruits together. She mentioned she wanted to tell us (my cousin and I) something important. "Always buy the ugly grapefruits," she said. Of course, anyone who knows me wouldn't have to wager that I would ask WHY? "Because the ugliest ones are always the sweetest," she would say. Ok...If grandma says it is so, then that is what I will always do, I said to myself.
To this day I replay those moments in my mind with my grandma. Every time I stand in front of the grapefruits at the store and every time I take my first bite of the succulent fruit. She had always been right. The ugliest grapefruits with the spots and scratches on them were always so sweet. I don't know why. Maybe just because my grandma said so.
My grandma and I were very close. In, the earlier years, I cleaned her house and stayed after to just talk. She told me many stories. In fact there were so many stories I wrote a 50 page typed paper about life in Italy and her journey to the US as a young married woman.
When grandma was done talking after I cleaned her house, she would take a nap on her couch. Our ritual had me covering her with a blanket and kissing her goodbye.
My grandma always treated me like I was special. She is one of the few people who "got" me. I was not a follower, a conformer or a yes girl. She knew that about me and still thought I was special.
My mom always said you have children to become a grandma. There is no greater joy. Being a grandma makes me feel important again. Yes I know I am anyway, but it is a higher level of importance. And, it is delightful to have a little being who just digs you..who just beams from ear to ear when you appear.
And, my little P is getting ready to walk!!! Look out, here I come!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment